Brownies are an all round favourite in our house. They’re quick, easy and delicious to make – pair with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a few strawberries and you have the perfect dessert to end any meal.
Here’s what you need:
- 175g (3/4 cup) of unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- A few chunks of milk/dark chocolate (optional)
- 200g (1 cup) of caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs seperated
- 65g (1/2 cup) of plain flour
- Ice cream and strawberries (optional)
Here’s what you need to do:
- As always with baking the first step is to preheat the oven, to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a dish with grease proof paper.
- Place the chocolate, butter and sugar in a heavy-based pan and heat gently until melted, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the flour, and the remaining chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Just a heads up, if your going to try this without an electric whisk its going to take a long time and a lot of elbow grease. Trust us, we tried. So you might want to invest in a cheap electric whisk (Amazon is your friend). Then gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until you can no longer see them.
4. Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about 35-40 mins until a crusty layer forms on top. If your not sure you can use a toothpick or a knife to test if its done, just poke it in the middle. For chewy brownies there should be a little bit of chocolate left on the toothpick or knife. Leave it to cool down slightly and remove from tin if you like.
5. Serve warm or cold with a side of your choice. We decided on ice cream and strawberries. Bon Appetit!! 🙂