If you love ribs or usually order barbecue ribs at a restaurant, have a go at our BBQ & Sweet Chilli Jerk Ribs, it’s easier than it sounds! The dish has a splash of Caribbean flavour, just to jazz it up.We do this recipe quite regularly and it make’s quite a nice treat for meat lovers.
So we decided to serve this with homemade sweet potato fries and coleslaw. But this dish would also go great with mac n cheese and regular fries (as Shannon did) or anything you like really. So if you like the sound of this dish continue reading this post.
Here’s what you need for the ribs (serves 3):
- A pack of spare ribs (3/4 ribs per person)
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of jerk seasoning (1 whole teaspoon if you like spice)
Here’s what you need for the sauce:
- 4 big squeezes of Ketchup
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Sweet Chilli sauce
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- (If you want you can buy barbecue sauce)
Here’s what you need for the sweet potato fries:
- 4 large sweet potatoes (2 potatoes per person)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Here’s what you need to do:
- To make the sauce, combine all of the ingredients listed to taste. The more honey, the more sticky the sauce. The more Worcestershire sauce, the more tangy the sauce. To prepare the sweet potato fries, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into the shape of french fries or if your prefer into wedges.
- Wash the ribs. Add the all purpose seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper, then massage it all in. Then you want to add the jerk.
Please note: For this step you’re going to want to mix the jerk in with a spoon or plastic gloves.
3. Also add in half of the barbecue sweet chilli sauce. Massage it in until it’s all over the ribs and then put in a tray lined with foil and oil. Place the ribs in the oven and let them cook uncovered at 180C.
4. Once the ribs have been in for 20 mins, spread half of the left over sauce on the ribs and leave for another 20 mins. Flip the ribs over and do the same for the other side, leaving them to cook for a final 20 minutes.
5. While the ribs are in, add in all of the seasonings and cover the chips well. Then add the oil. Place into a tray lined with foil. Bake the chips for 20-30 minutes at 180C.
6. You can also add mac n cheese, coleslaw, salad or any other sides of your choice.Take everything out, plate it up and enjoy!
P.s. Our Mac n Cheese recipe will be up soon!!